Broxbourne Winter Night Shelter
From January 7th to March 3rd 2019, Churches Together across Broxbourne Borough will be hosting a Winter Night Shelter (WNS) pilot, with the intention of creating an ongoing WNS should the pilot prove successful and the demand sufficient. It will be running with support from Housing Justice and with Broxbourne Council.
During the eight week duration of the pilot, guests will be referred to us by Broxbourne Council, and offered an evening meal, overnight accommodation and breakfast in a circuit of seven local churches, each of which is open on a different night of the week. These host churches are:
Sundays: St Augustine’s R.C. Church, Hoddesdon
Mondays: Waltham Cross Baptist Church
Tuesdays: Church of Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception and St Joseph, Waltham Cross
Wednesdays: Wormley Free Church, Wormley
Thursdays: Elim Life Church, Hoddesdon
Fridays: St Cuthbert’s Church, Hoddesdon
Saturdays: St Augustine’s C of E Church, Broxbourne
The project is staffed by volunteers from the local churches and wider community (there is no requirement to be a Christian to either attend or volunteer). It is overseen by a Core Steering Group, with each venue being organised by one or more Venue Coordinators.
Important Dates for Volunteers:
- Venue Coordinator training is being held on 12th September at St Cuthbert’s Church, Whitley Road, Hoddesdon EN11 OPU from 7-9.30pm. Emma Neill from Housing Justice will lead those who have volunteered to take responsibility for the weekly organisation of their church venue;
- Venue Coordinator Meeting on October 9th at Wormley Free Church, Slipe Lane, Wormley, EN10 6AA from 7-9pm.
- First Aid training is being held on 27th October and 10th November at the British Red Cross, Baker Street, Hertford, 9 for 9.30am -1.30pm. Volunteers only need to attend one session. It is advisable to attend but not compulsory – you can still volunteer if you can’t make training. Contact Dave Lee to book a date.
- Venue Coordinator Meeting on Tuesday 13th November at Wormley Free Church, Slipe Lane, Wormley, EN10 6AA from 7-9pm.
- On 22nd November we have afternoon (12-2.30pm bring a packed lunch) and evening sessions (7-930pm) to train all volunteers from across the 7 venues, and any “free” volunteers who are happy to attend any venue. This will take place at the Church of Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception and St Joseph, High Street, Waltham Cross, EN8 7DP. Please let Dave Lee know which session you wish to attend.
If you wish to volunteer or contact the Core Steering Group, please use the following contact form.